Sunday, September 29, 2013

My Fabric Fairy Find

Two weeks ago, I entered my name in to win one of several gift certificates to online fabric stores on the Sew Mama Sew website.  Lo and behold, I was one of the winners.  I won a $30.00 certificate to the The Fabric Fairy.  It didn't take me long to place my order.

I got two yards of this lovely bamboo linen.

Heathered Grey Bamboo Linen Woven Fabric

And, two yards of this pretty gauze knit
Floral Bunches Cotton Lycra Gauze Knit Fabric

I am so excited that I won, and very appreciative of The Fabric Fairy.

Thank you!!

Saturday, September 21, 2013

New Simplicity Jacket

This is a cute little jacket that I made about 3 weeks ago.  I used a Simplicity pattern.  The jacket was meant to be unlined, but I added an interlining.  I finished all the inside seams with lace.

I added piping along the front of the jacket and end of the sleeves to make it a bit more professional looking.  I also added a frog closure.  I pondered a moment about adding a black frog closure, but in the end, I thought I would keep the colors matching.  About the piping, this is not only the first time I have used piping with sewing, but I made my own!  Whoop for me!

Top stitching was done around the front, shoulder seams, and the princess seams.  I top stitched this using the triple stitch on my sewing machine.  It looks awesome if I do say so for myself.

The pattern is an easy sew, and by adding a few minor, but professional details, it gives the jacket a WOW factor.

Pictures were taken after I worn it all day, so it is a bit wrinkled.

All fabric was stash, along with the thread and lace.  The only thing I bought for this jacket was the frog closure.

 I have a skirt to post about in the next week or so.  It goes with this jacket nicely :)

Take care and God bless.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Hot Patterns Coal, Iron, and Railroad Company Shirt

This shirt was a long time in the making due to machine issues, the heavy jean fabric, and all the top stitching that I did.  The pattern itself is not difficult one, and the pieces matched together perfectly.  This shirt is made out of my husband's old Levi denim jeans, and I sewed/top stitched all seams with heavy duty thread.  The under collar, cuff and placket lining is made out of  scrap flannel fabric I have had in my stash a long, long time.

The shirt/jacket has actually been done for about a month, and my husband had his first opportunity to wear it this week while going on the ATV to bring our girls in for milking.  He really likes it, and that always makes me happy.

The pictures are not that good because I used my phone camera, but you can get the idea.

I made a size XL, and could have went down a size.  The shirt is roomy on my husband, but again, he likes that since he will be wearing it more for a jacket.  If I was to make a shirt out of normal fabric, I would go down a size.

It is nice to refashion something old into something new.  All these years of saving up jeans has finally paid off :)

Take care and God bless.